Company Established by John Hadlow Martin (1842-27th August 1896), married to Fannie Martha Witt, 13th April 1872 at St James Church, Southampton. John’s brother William S Martin may also have worked in the business. Children of John and Fannie born & raised over the shop. Martin family lore has it that they had a telephone in 1920, and a telegraph address “Martinet” (confirmed in adverts we have), and that they owned 38 & 40 Bernard Street, and 11 Oxford Street. Listed in the 1887 census as an India Rubber dealer & Gutta Percha manufacturer, and they traded from 1876-1912 as India Rubber Dealers but in 1913 the business was known as Martins Rubber Co Ltd (clarification needed, as the company was not formally registered until 1933). The business was still registered in John Hadlow Martin’s name until 1913 it is thought, but it is not clear what happened and who owned it between then and 1933. Possible source of info at the Freemasons records, J H Martin was a member of the Southampton Lodge. Source: Mr Nicholas Martin, July 2010 Products: Proofing Materials and Fabrications, hoses, gaskets. Martins Rubber are a rubber manufacturer who specialise in the production and supply of elastomeric products including seals, gaskets and bespoke rubber mouldings in standard and specialised polymers, engineering plastics and gasketing materials. Founded in the UK and trading since 1865, Martin’s Rubber supplies industrial rubber and engineered plastic products to many industries around the world.
More info: http://www.martins-rubber.co.uk/